
After work yesterday, I worked an evening shift at the zoo. I taught a class on animal tracking this time... pretty funny since I have trouble 'tracking' my lost keys on a daily basis!
It's probably my least favorite class to teach out of all of them, but it's not too bad. I've come to accept the fact that when I get to the scat (poop) portion of the tracking class, I will pretty much loose all the little cub scouts to snickering for the rest of the evening! I mean, we even have rubbery replicas of different animal scat, so what am I supposed to do? Take it seriously?! I joke around with the fake scat because they are going to laugh anyway, so after I teach this class, I'm more often than not known as the 'Poop Teacher'...
Twelve hours later, I found myself back at the zoo in the daytime for a little fun with Lehna. I was babysitting her today, and was planning on spending some time with my friend Karla, but she's been pretty sick all week. We took a rain check on a play date with Karla and Nathan, and decided to head to the zoo.
My other friend, Amber, was nice enough to come along with me kinda at the last minute. Her daughter, Kelsey, is a couple of months younger than Lehna. We had a GREAT TIME! The weather was beautiful (I wore a t-shirt... in NOVEMBER!!), and the animals were all out and really active. The lions were SO active that the male lion actually 'sprayed' the crowd just to our left as we were trying to get a good look at them (Those of you with cats know what I'm talking about).
Luckily, we didn't get sprayed, but some poor people got drenched! It was sooo gross, but funny. I feel guilty that I thought it was funny... but I can't help it!
This was Kelsey's first visit to the zoo, and Amber hadn't been for a long time, so it was great fun to have them there. It also gave me the opportunity to spout random bits of info here and there about the animals, the zoo, etc... I can usually only do that on my guest's first visit, because after that, it just becomes annoying!
The girls did so well! They were awake and alert the whole time, and neither one was fussy at all while we were there. Just after the zoo officially closed, we went into the Dolphin Dome. Once again, it was awesome. It was pretty much deserted, so we watched the dolphins swim around us for a while. Even little Kelsey was watching the dolphins! Amber took some cute pictures in the Dolphin Dome, so I'll add them to my photo album when I get copies.
When we weren't at the zoo, Lehna and I hung out with the dogs at my apartment. Amazingly enough, Kali is REALLY gentle with Lehna. She does try to lick Lehna's face on occasion, but I manage to stop her most of the time. Lehna doesn't need a Kali bath!
While it's not the best quality, this is my favorite shot of the morning. Sorry, Kiddo! Your tounge is just not as long as Kali's yet!!
Less than a week until we move! There's so much to do, so I'd better get to it! Thanks for joining me at the zoo today, Amber! I had a blast and we need to do it again soon! Feel better soon Karla, because I'll be moving to a neighborhood near you very, very soon! Have a good week!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment