Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Freezer Paper Stencil Tutorial

You can find instructions on how to do freezer paper stenciling all over the Internet... and... here's another one! I cannot tell you how much FUN this is!! I'm hooked. I'm still staying pretty simple because I don't want to ruin any shirts, but I have BIG plans! If you're interested in trying it (and you should be...), here's what you do:


1. Create a design. I use Photoshop to come up with the shirt designs, but you can really use anything that you print off the computer. An Internet image search for coloring pages is a GREAT way to find a good patterns and pictures for the shirts.

2. With the plastic side of the freezer paper down, trace the design. With an exacto knife, carefully cut out your stencil. Make sure you keep in mind that the parts you cut out will be painted, and you are creating a negative.


3. Once the stencil has been cut out, position it onto the shirt (again, plastic side down, against the material), and iron the paper until there is a tight seal between the material and paper. If you have smaller pieces of freezer paper you need to add (like the spaceship windows in this example), position and iron those pieces after the main stencil is secured.

Make sure you use matte fabric paint like the brand above
(NOT "puffy" paint)

Save some money by buying only a few colors and mix!

4. Once you have your paint mixed, put a piece of cardboard on the inside of the shirt so that the paint doesn't soak through. Use a medium to large brush to paint the shirt evenly. This may take more than one layer of paint, so let the paint dry between each layer. For a more "vintage" look, you are going to want fewer layers. For bolder/sharper colors and lines, add more layers.


5. Let the paint dry for about an hour, or... if you are all about instant gratification like me, and you can't wait to start pulling off the paper, you can greatly speed up the process by using your trusty hair dryer!

6. Once the paint is dry, carefully peel the freezer paper off the shirt.


7. Iron the painted areas for about 20 seconds to make sure the paint is permanently set.


8. It's done! Enjoy your crafty-work!! It's just that easy!!

1 comment:

Karla said...

This looks like SO much fun!!!!!! Ok... I am going to have to try it now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails