Saturday, April 09, 2011

Spring Fest 2011


How about that weather this morning, central Indiana?!!? Our windows shook with the thunder, lights flickered, the boys huddled in my lap and the dog worked herself up into such a tizzy that she made herself yack on my carpet... again.

I was SURE that we would have to scrub our plans to go to the Purdue Spring Fest today. But the boys remained optimistic, and by noon the storm had passed, the clouds were dissipating, and I decided to get us out of the house and meet Marcus at Purdue after his shift ended at about 1:00 pm.

We started off at my office to see the Boilermaker Special in the lobby. I don't even DARE take the boys on campus without stopping to see the train. I would never hear the end of it!!

"ALL ABOARD!!"

The boys took turns being the engineer and the passenger. Here, Evan is waiting patiently to get to their destination (I believe they said the were going to Mickey's clubhouse), so that he could "drive" the train on the return trip...

After the visit to my office, we moved on to the main event on campus...

This is a pretty cool piece of art by Patrick Dougherty in front of the Visual and Performing Arts Building. Several students worked with him to produce the sculpture.

I love this shot of Evan!
Side-note: I did put that stick back where it belonged in the sculpture once I noticed he had a hold of it!!

My brave explorers

The Tractor Trudge: The more they pedaled the more resistance was put on the tractor by the contraption it was pulling... Zachary made it 35 feet...

...and Evan made it 30 feet (with some help)

It was about 50 degrees when I left home, so the boys had long shirts on, but the chill did not last long! As soon as the sun came out, it jumped to the mid-70's! BEAUTIFUL!! It also meant the boys were hot and uncomfortable. Luckily, Marcus saved the day and brought the boys a couple of t-shirts. It was a good thing too, because our next stop was the "Boiler Barn" with farm animals. It was HOT in there!!

While we were there, I paid a buck because Zachary wanted to milk a cow. However, once he was next to the cow (and she WAS a big'un!) he couldn't do it. So, I did!! I paid for the privilege, after all! Kinda cool, but my aim is terrible, and we'll just leave it at that!!

So cute...
and frankly, the cleanest pigs I've ever seen in my life!

Evan with a week-old calf. He kept crawling around, looking right into the calf's face and saying, "It's ok baby cow, you go to sleep now!" Melted my heart...

Concentrating hard on the little chick

Zachary's turn! Such confidence!

Awwww... those are my boys!!

After the barn, we headed to the "Bug Bowl" portion of Spring Fest. Zachary does not like insects at ALL unless they are under glass, so he was fine with the displays, and actually enjoyed them quite a bit!

The insect petting zoo was a much different story. He stayed back for the most part and did not want to touch a thing in that room!

Evan the Fearless, however, went up to each of the different bugs' handlers and point blank asked to hold each and every one of those little critters!! He held a tobacco worm, a cockroach, a millipede, and a beetle. He also petted a butterfly and a lobster. He was completely enthralled by them! He wasn't skittish, and he didn't just let them sit there either... he touched them, examined them, and well, squeezed them, but we made sure it was a gentle squeeze!!

"Look, Mommy! These bugs are cool!"

Giving a tobacco worm a little squeeze and pat on the head...

The millipede making it's way from my hand to Evan's.

Mmmmm... Lobster...
I learned something new today as well! I had no idea that some lobsters can live to be over a hundred years old if they don't end up as someone's anniversary dinner!!

After our bug encounter, we walked around a bit and got the boys some child-sized cotton candy, which is kind of a tradition for us at Spring Fest. We ended our Purdue trip over at the airport to do a little plane spotting with Grandpa DeArmond.




Hope my readers have had a good weekend thus far, and if the weather was as gorgeous as it was here, that you were able to enjoy it! Lots and lots of activities coming up in the next few weeks, so stay tuned!

"MMmmmmm... Sugar...

Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails